If you’re considering joining a capoeira academy, it’s important to do your research and choose the right one for you. Here are the top five things to look for when selecting a capoeira academy to join:
- Reputation and experience of the instructors: Look for an academy with experienced and reputable instructors who have a strong background in capoeira and a proven track record of teaching. It’s also a good idea to check for any certifications or qualifications the instructors may have. This will ensure that you receive high-quality instruction and guidance from professionals who are knowledgeable and passionate about capoeira, including the various kicks and other martial arts techniques used in the art.
- Training facilities and equipment: The quality and condition of the training facilities and equipment at the academy can have a big impact on your training experience. Look for an academy with clean, well-maintained facilities that are suitable for practicing capoeira, including enough space to perform the various kicks and other martial arts techniques. Make sure they have enough equipment to accommodate the number of students, and that the equipment is in good condition.
- Curriculum and teaching style: Different academies may have different approaches to teaching capoeira, so it’s important to find an academy whose curriculum and teaching style align with your learning style and goals. Do they focus on traditional techniques and philosophies, or do they incorporate more modern or experimental approaches? Consider what works best for you and your goals as a capoeira practitioner, including mastering the various kicks and other martial arts techniques.
- Community and culture: Capoeira is not just about learning a martial art, but also about being part of a community and culture. Consider the academy’s overall atmosphere and the values and philosophy it promotes. Do you feel welcomed and supported by the community, and does it align with your personal values and goals? Finding a capoeira academy that aligns with your values and promotes a positive, inclusive culture can make a big difference in your training experience, including your progress in mastering the various capoeira kicks and other martial arts techniques.
- Additional considerations: If you’re looking for a family-oriented academy or one that offers capoeira classes for kids, be sure to check if the academy has programs or classes specifically tailored for these age groups. You may also want to consider the academy’s location and whether it’s convenient for you to attend classes. Searching for a capoeira academy “near me” or a martial arts academy “near me” can help you find options in your area. Additionally, if music is an important aspect of capoeira for you, look for an academy that places a strong emphasis on the musical elements of the art.